Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflections Art Finalist



I participated in the Reflections Art Contest at my school.  The theme was "Together we can..." 
I drew a whale shark.  My artist statement is "Together we can protect the earth's magnificent creatures."  I chose this subject out of deep concern for the animals that were devasted by the BP oil spill.   Whale sharks are the latest victims of the spill.  They are filter feeders and scoop up large amounts of plankton and small fish just below the surface.  They are also ingesting large amounts of water that in some areas, now contain toxic oil.  The whale shark is just one of the species that will be negatively impacted by this disaster.
My little brother entered the contest too and he was awarded Honorable mention.  He was really excited about winning and receiving a prize.  His picture was of the deep sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment